We take your data seriously and only want to use it to make your shopping experience at Farmers online or in our stores as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Your Farmers Club Membership
By signing up online or filling in an application form in one of our stores you have chosen to become a member of Farmers Club.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. We use the information we collect on the site to enhance your overall Farmers experience. We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others. If you would rather not receive any marketing emails from us, you may opt out at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send to you.
What information do we collect? How do we use it?
When you sign up to Farmers Club we ask you for information which we use only for the purposes of providing you the best shopping experience at Farmers and for the purposes of Farmers Club.
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you create a Farmers Club membership with us.
- When you purchase a product or service in store but do not create a membership with us (for example to buy furniture or appliances).
- When you visit our website, and sign in to your membership to buy products and services, or redeem vouchers in our physical stores
- When you make an online purchase and check out as a guest (in which case we just collect transaction-based data).
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you enter prize draws or competitions.
- When you book any kind of appointment with us or book to attend an event.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
- When you fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens in store.
- We collect data from publicly-available sources (such as New Zealand census) when you have given your consent to share information or where the information is made public as a matter of law.
- When you visit our stores which usually have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and staff. These systems may record your image during your visit.
What sort of data do we collect?
- If you have an online account with us: your name, gender, date of birth, billing/delivery address, orders and receipts, email and telephone number. For your security, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password.
- Details of your interactions with us through contact centres, in store and online, for example, we collect notes from our conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you made, items viewed or added to your basket, gift list and wish list choices, voucher redemptions, brands you show interest in, web pages you visit and how and when you contact us.
- Details of your shopping preferences, for example, which of our shops you prefer to visit and where you redeem your vouchers.
- Details of your visits to our websites and which site you came from to ours.
- Personal details which help us to recommend items of interest
- We’ll only ask for and use your personal data collected for recommending items of interest and to tailor your shopping experience with us. Of course, it’s always your choice whether you share such details with us, however we cannot send you a birthday gift without your birthday.
- Payment card information
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit a shop or car park.
- We monitor customer traffic patterns and site usage to help us develop the design and layout of the site. Any information automatically retrieved, such as site browsing patterns, will be used only in aggregate form. (so that no individual visitors are identified). If you have signed in to Farmers Club we can identify that is you on that visit and on subsequent visits to our site.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
How do we use your personal data?
- We will use your address details to deliver the goods you purchase and to send you direct marketing information by post, telling you about products and services that we think might interest you.
- We will use your phone number to identify your Club membership in store if you forget your card and if you have given us text permission (Farmers Club Connect), to text you to let you know about relevant offers or events
- We’ll use your email address so we can get in touch to let you know where your online order is, when you have earned a Voucher or when you have Voucher(s) which are about to expire and to send you Farmers Club updates or news. If you have given us email marketing permission (Farmers Club Connect) we’ll send you promotional marketing about our great deals, news and information about new products and an email to invite you to collect your birthday gift.
- We will use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers.
- We also combine the shopping history of many customers to identify trends and ensure we can keep up with demand, or develop new products/services.
- When we offer competitions and promotions, or join with other companies to do so, customers who choose to participate in those competitions and promotions may be asked to provide personal information to be eligible to participate. That information may then be used by us and by any company offering the competition or promotion to notify winners or to fulfil promotional obligations.
- When we join with other companies to offer or provide products, services, competitions or promotions, Farmers and the other company may cross-reference our customer databases to identify common customers. Farmers and the other company may use that existing information to identify future promotional opportunities and to fulfil promotional or contractual obligations.
If, prior to participating in a contest or promotion, you opted not to receive information about or mailings from us, you may still receive information from or about Farmers in connection with the competition or promotion if you choose to register for or participate in it. You may opt not to participate in these competitions or promotions if you do not want to receive information about Farmers or share your information with Farmers and the other companies sponsoring those contests or promotions.
What are my rights over my data?
Removing consent to use contact information
- If you no longer wish to receive Direct Marketing from Farmers you can opt out of all email marketing communication by visiting out Preference Centre through the link at the bottom of any of our emails or by asking in store or calling our call centre. To unsubscribe from Postal mail please call or email us and we can update this for you. Please note that it may take a few days for opt outs to take effect. If you choose to remove email or text permission for your Farmers Club Membership you opt out of Farmers Club Connect which includes additional benefits for members.
- If you no longer wish to be a member of Farmers Club please call us so we can delete your membership. This will not remove all of the data that we have for you as historical data will still exist.
Accessing my data
- At any point you wish to understand what data we have about you, you can ask us. Your personal data can be accessed and updated by logging in to your membership on the Website, asking at a store to have your details updated or calling our call centre.
- You can choose how Farmers communicates with you through the Farmers Preference Centre which you can access from any email we have sent you or through your membership on the Website. Your choices on the Preference Centre will be used to tailor how we contact you with marketing information.
How does Farmers protect customer information?
As required by the Privacy Act 1993, we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information, which you have given us, to prevent unauthorised access. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose sensitive information to you.
Will Farmers disclose the information it collects to outside parties?
Farmers does not sell, trade or rent your personal information to others. Farmers may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, and related site information to reputable third-party vendors, but these statistics will include no personally identifying information.
Farmers complies fully with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. We will not share, sell, rent, swap or authorise any third party to use your email address without your permission. If you feel you have received an email from us in error, please contact email@example.com.
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and emails, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments and providing customer services. Such companies and individuals will have access to personal information needed to perform these functions, but may not use it for any other purposes and are required to process the data in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
What about links to other websites and services?
The Farmers website may contain links to other sites which are not administered or governed by Farmers. These are provided solely for the convenience of our visitors. Farmers are not responsible for the content of these websites. If you choose to click on the link to another website to use its services or resources, Farmers are not liable in respect of your use of the linked website.
Tell us what you think
We welcome your questions and comments about privacy at Farmers. Please send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org