Security & Privacy
We are committed to protecting your privacy. We use the information we collect on the site to enhance your overall Farmers experience. We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information to others. If you would rather not receive any marketing emails from us, you may opt out at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send to you.
What information do we collect? How do we use it?
When do we collect your personal data?
- When you create a Farmers Club membership with us.
- When you purchase a product or service in store but do not create a membership with us (for example to buy furniture or appliances, which we need to deliver to you).
- When you visit our website, and sign in to your membership to buy products and services, or redeem vouchers in our physical stores.
- When you make an online purchase and check out as a guest.
- When you engage with us on social media, for instance by contacting us on Facebook or visiting our Instagram page.
- When you contact us for any reason, such as with queries, complaints etc.
- When you enter prize draws, competitions or engage in other promotional activity with us.
- When you book any kind of appointment with us or book to attend an event.
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you or when you join the Farmers Feedback community.
- When you fill in any forms in relation to our business. For example, if an accident happens in store we may require you to complete a health and safety form.
- We may collect personal data about you from publicly-available sources (such as the New Zealand census).
- When you visit our stores which usually have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and staff. These systems may record your image during your visit.
What sort of data do we collect?
- If you have a Farmers Club membership: your name, gender, date of birth, billing/delivery address, email address, phone number, email preferences (if you complete these on our Preference Centre), and details about your orders and receipts. If you have an online account, we’ll also keep an encrypted record of your login password, for your security. If you permit us to do so, we will also collect your birthdate so we can give you a gift!
- Details of your interactions with us through contact centres, in store and online. For example, we collect notes from our conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you make and your shopping preferences, voucher redemptions, and how and when you contact us.
- Encrypted payment card information when you purchase from our website.
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit a shop or car park associated with one of our stores.
- We monitor customer traffic patterns and website usage to help us develop the design and layout of our web site.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
How do we use your personal data?
- We will use the postal address you provide to us to deliver the goods you purchase. If you are a Club member and you give us permission, we will also send you direct marketing information by post, telling you about products and services that we think might interest you. (As noted below, you can opt out of receiving this marketing material at any stage.)
- We will use your phone number to identify your Club membership in store if you forget your card. If you have given us text permission (Farmers Club Connect), we may also text you to let you know about relevant offers or events. (As noted below, you can opt out of receiving this marketing material at any stage.)
- We’ll use your email address so we can get in touch to let you know where your online order is, when you have earned a Voucher or when you have Voucher(s) which are about to expire and to send you Farmers Club updates or news. If you have given us email marketing permission (Farmers Club Connect) we’ll send you promotional marketing about our great deals, news and information about new products and an email to invite you to collect your birthday gift. (As noted below, you can opt out of receiving this marketing material at any stage.)
- We will use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers.
- We also combine the shopping history of many customers to identify trends and ensure we can keep up with demand, or develop new products/services. Any information automatically retrieved, such as website browsing patterns, will be used only in aggregate form, (so that no individual visitors are identified). If you have signed in to Farmers Club we can identify you on that visit to our website and on subsequent visits to our site, even where you do not sign in.
- We use your shopping history and your personal data combined with census and other third party data to segment our Customer base and create relevant and tailored offers and experiences and to target our marketing communications.
- We use member data to allow us to reach audiences in social media and through digital marketing channels. We also use member data in order to reach relevant members to conduct research or to invite you to join our Farmers research panel. We may provide member data to third party research agencies in order to recruit members for focus groups or research studies.
- When we offer competitions and promotions, or join with other companies to do so, customers who choose to participate in those competitions and promotions may be asked to provide personal information to be eligible to participate. That information may then be used by us and by any company offering the competition or promotion to notify winners or to fulfil promotional obligations. Only details you have provided as part of entering the competition will be provided to third party companies. Farmers will not provide your Farmers Club customer data to a third party except where the third party must contact the winners directly and this is expressly provided for in the competition terms and conditions.
- When we join with other companies to offer or provide products, services, competitions or promotions, Farmers and the other company may cross-reference our customer databases to identify common customers. Farmers and the other company may use that existing information to identify future promotional opportunities and to fulfil promotional or contractual obligations.
If, prior to participating in a contest or promotion, you opted not to receive information about or mailings from us, you may still receive information from or about Farmers in connection with the competition or promotion if you choose to register for or participate in it. You may opt not to participate in these competitions or promotions if you do not want to receive information about Farmers or share your information with Farmers and the other companies sponsoring those contests or promotions.
What are your rights over your data?
Removing consent to use contact information
- If you no longer wish to receive Direct Marketing from Farmers you can opt out of all email marketing communication by visiting our Preference Centre through the link at the bottom of any of our emails or by asking in store or calling our call centre. To unsubscribe from Postal mail please call or email us and we can update this for you. Please note that it may take a few days for opt outs to take effect. If you choose to remove email or text permission for your Farmers Club Membership you opt out of Farmers Club Connect which includes additional benefits for members.
- If you no longer wish to be a member of Farmers Club please call us so we can delete your membership. We may retain transactional data about your past purchases but this will no longer be linked back to any of your personal information.
Accessing and updating your data
- If at any point you wish to understand what data we hold about you, you can ask us. You can also ask us to correct the data we hold about you. Your personal data can be accessed and updated by logging in to your membership on the Website, asking at a store to have your details updated, or calling our call centre.
- You can choose how Farmers communicates with you through the Farmers Preference Centre which you can access from any email we have sent you or through your membership on the Website. Your choices on the Preference Centre will be used to tailor how we contact you with marketing information.
How does Farmers protect customer information?
As required by the Privacy Act 1993, we follow strict security procedures in the storage of personal information that we hold about you to prevent loss, as well as unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure. For instance, we provide staff with individualised log ins and make sure staff are only given a level of access to our database that reflects the requirements of their role.
Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose sensitive information to you.
Will Farmers disclose the information it collects to outside parties?
Farmers does not sell, trade or rent your personal information to others. Farmers may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, and related site information to reputable third-party vendors, but these statistics will include no personally identifying information. We will share customer data with research agencies in order to recruit relevant members to research studies or focus groups. When offering a promotion or competition with a third party vendor, information about the winner will only be shared with that vendor if this is expressly set out in the Terms and Conditions for the competition or promotion.
Farmers complies fully with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. We will not share, sell, rent, swap or authorise any third party to use your email address without your permission. If you feel you have received an email from us in error, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and emails, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments and providing customer services. We will give such companies and individuals access to personal information needed to perform these functions, but they may not use it for any other purposes and are required to process the data in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
What about links to other websites and services?
The Farmers website may contain links to other sites which are not administered or governed by Farmers. These are provided solely for the convenience of our visitors. Farmers is not responsible for the content of these websites. If you choose to click on the link to another website to use its services or resources, Farmers is not liable in respect of your use of the linked website.
Tell us what you think
We welcome your questions and comments about privacy at Farmers. Please send emails to email@example.com.
Farmers Trading Company Limited
21 Laidlaw Way